Recommended Time In Role
Ideally, a Third Officer should stay in their role for one to two years before considering advancing their career. This is the length of time needed to perfect the skills needed to be a strong Third Officer (the role may be a dual position including that of Bosun) and the minimum amount of experience needed for more senior roles.
To be eligible to be a Third Officer, all candidates must hold current STCW – Basic Safety Training A-VI/I, and OOW (Yachts) >3000gt CoC or Unlimited CoC.
Ideally, a Third Officer should be working towards MCA Chief Mate >3000gt CoC.
- A Third Officer should have experience in all deck duties, tender driving, and water sports.
- They should be actively gaining bridge experience, and it is recommended that experience is gained on a range of vessel sizes.
- They should have experience leading, training, and motivating the deck crew. They must have proven experience working effectively with the Bridge Team and understand, adhere, and promote the safety procedures onboard.
A Third Officer can also work towards MCA Master (Yachts) >500gt CoC. To obtain the MCA Master (Yachts) >500gt CoC the OOW (Yachts) <3000gt CoC must have been held for 12 months, and 120 days of watchkeeping gained during this time.
- Positive/can-do attitude
- Strong work ethic / hard-working
- Honest & trustworthy
- Personable – service with smile
- Self-regulated – including personal and social media presence
- Good communication skills
- Good listener
- Takes direction
- Well presented
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Good time keeping